The algorithm used within RMEx is the Rijndael Algorithm in Counter mode of operation. Important features of this algorithm are as follows:
- Supports key lengths of 64 bits,128 bits or 256 bits.
- Symmetric Algorithm (Same key is used for encryption and decryption)
- It is free and not patented
- It is the algorithm that is considered the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES)
- It is a block cipher which encrypts 64 bits blocks at a time.
- Counter mode of operation allows the block cipher to work as a stream cipher. Thus the input length does not have to be a multiple of block size.